Salem State University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., a non-governmental, nationally recognized organization whose affiliated institutions include elementary schools through collegiate institutions offering post-graduate instruction.
Accreditation of an institution by the New England Association indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality periodically applied through a peer group review process. An accredited school or college is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.
Accreditation by the New England Association is not partial but applies to the institution as a whole. As such, it is not a guarantee of the quality of every course or program offered, or the competence of individual graduates. Rather, it provides reasonable assurance about the quality of opportunities available to students who attend the institution.
Inquiries regarding the status of an institution’s accreditation by the New England Association should be directed to the administrative staff of the school or college. Individuals may also contact the Association:
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
209 Burlington Rd.
Bedford, MA 01730-1433
Salem State University supports the efforts of secondary school officials and governing bodies to have their schools achieve regional accredited status to provide reliable assurance of the quality of the educational preparation of its applicants for admission.
The Education Unit at Salem State University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), 2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington D.C. 20036; phone 202.466.7496. The accreditation covers the institution’s initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation programs.
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
- American Chemical Society
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Commission on Sport Management Accreditation
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Computing Accreditation Commission - Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc.
- Council on Social Work Education
- Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- National Association of Schools of Music
- National Association of Schools of Theatre
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges