Aug 17, 2022  
2019-2020 School of Graduate Studies Catalog 
2019-2020 School of Graduate Studies Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information

Graduate Financial Aid Information
Refund Policy 
Veterans’ Affairs  
Graduate Assistantships
Course Privileges for Students Over 60
Corporate Tuition Reimbursement



please visit

Graduate Financial Aid Information

Graduate students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, the FAFSA, (  A new FAFSA is required for each academic year the student would like to receive aid (academic year, September – August).  Students will be required to establish a federal student aid id, FSA ID ( The FSA ID will be the student’s electronic signature.  Students will also need to enter Salem State’s federal school code (002188) onto their fafsa.

To receive federal aid a student must be fully admitted to a degree program and register for at least 6 credits a semester (regardless of the student’s program definition of half time).  Federal financial aid can only pay for credits which are required for the student’s degree. 

Students applying for federal financial aid are generally awarded a federal direct unsubsidized Stafford loan.  (Current rates and fees can be found at  Students can borrow funds to cover tuition and fees along with “living expenses”, if desired.  The current maximum a student may borrow with the federal direct Stafford loan each academic year is $20,500.  Students requiring additional funding may then apply for a federal Graduate Plus loan (credit based).  The federal student loan website is:

In addition to the federal loan programs, graduate students may also be eligible for Federal Work Study (generally awarded to MSW students completing internships).

Students may complete the Salem State Academic Scholarship application from December 1st – March 1st.   The application can be found at  Decisions are issued by late spring/early summer for the following fall.

Salem State University has a competitive Graduate Assistantship/Graduate Fellowship program where students awarded can receive free tuition while also earning a stipend.  Students who are awarded the Assistantship/Fellowship are still required to pay the fee portion of their student account.  Students may find the application via the Graduate School’s website.

Conditionally admitted students may not receive federal assistance until they have met the condition of their acceptance.  Students conditionally admitted or enrolled in certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid (except for Educational Leadership, CAGS) but may utilize a payment plan ( or apply for one of our alternative loans (

For financial aid purposes, half time enrollment is registering for at least 6 credits a semester, regardless of your program’s definition of half time enrollment.  So, a student must register for at least 6 credits a semester to receive federal financial aid.  The 6 credit minimum is also required to defer a student’s federal undergraduate loans.

Students must be fully registered for all of their semester credits within the first five teaching days of the semester, when credits are “locked in”.

Financial aid is generally disbursed in October for the fall and February for the spring.  Students expecting funds to assist with living expenses can generally expect those funds by late October and early-March, respectfully.

Students who cease enrollment prior to the 60% point of the semester will have their financial aid recalculated and may owe funds back to the University.

Graduate students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress (GPA of at least a 3.0 and successfully complete 66% of attempted credits).  Students not maintaining satisfactory academic progress will be placed on “probation” (for potentially up to two semesters).  Students receiving federal financial aid may appeal their status in order to maintain their financial aid during their probationary period.

Graduate students should check their SSU email account daily.  All communication will occur via their SSU email account.


Veterans’ Affairs

The mission of Veterans’ Affairs at Salem State is to assist student veterans, survivors/dependents, reservists, and members of the guard with both state and federal educational benefit programs.  Whether you are a new or continuing student, we are dedicated to providing you with resources and services to assist you in achieving your academic and educational goals.

Salem State University will adhere to the requirements of and comply with S2248 PL 115-407 Section 103.


Veteran’s Affairs
Ellison Campus Center
Salem State University
352 Lafayette Street
Salem, MA 01970

Phone: 978.542.6082
Fax: 978.542.3001

please visit


Graduate Assistantships

Each academic year several Graduate Assistant positions are available for interested and qualified students. To be eligible to apply:

  • Be unconditionally admitted into a master’s degree program at Salem State University (required)
  • Enrollment in at least six credits each semester (required)
  • Minimum 3.0 undergraduate or 3.5 graduate GPA (preferred)
  • If required for admissions, satisfactory scores on standardized tests, TOEFL or IELTS (preferred)
  • Students may not have more than one graduate assistantship position at a time.

There are two categories of assistantships: research assistants and program assistants. Research assistants assist individual faculty with their scholarly work throughout the academic year. Program assistants provide service to academic programs such as the Writing Center during the tenure of their assistantship.

Each full-time assistantship carries a monthly stipend and an award of tuition remission. The stipend is for 10 hours a week rendered to the department to which the assistant has been assigned. The tuition remission is considered a financial resource in any Financial Aid award. For further information, contact the School of Graduate Studies at 978 542-6323.


Course Privileges for Students Over 60

The School of Graduate Studies has made the provision for students over 60 years of age to enroll in courses tuition-free if space is available. For special programs, institutes and seminars, it will be necessary to pay the program fee. It will be helpful for eligible students to present proof of age at registration for prompt processing.


Corporate Tuition Reimbursement

Many area employers will reimburse their employees in full or in part for courses considered job-related. Students are advised to check with their employer’s personnel office for detailed information.


Refund Policy

Evening and Graduate Classes

The following are the current refund policies for evening and graduate classes. The policy goes into effect beginning in the fall of 2018, along with the new add/drop period for evening and graduate classes. If you have any specific questions regarding your refund, please contact the Student Navigation Center directly.

Fall and Spring Full Semester Courses

Withdrawal before or within the Add/Drop period   

100% refund
Withdrawal within the first 7 days following the  Add/Drop period 80% tuition only refund
Withdrawal within the second 7 days following the  Add/Drop period 50% tuition only refund
    After Add/Drop +14 calendar days No Refund 

Summer Sessions I, Summer II, Winter Online, Accelerated Six Week and Special Format Courses 

Withdrawal before or within a two day Add/Drop period 100% refund
Withdrawal within the first three days following the Add/Drop period 50% tuition only refund
Withdrawal after three days folloeing the Add/Drop period No Refund

Special Format and Non-Credit Courses

   Withdrawal before or within a one day Add/Drop period 100% refund
    Withdrawal after the one day Add/Drop period No Refund


NOTE: Refunds are based on session dates of scheduled classes, not on attendance or participation. The date a student processes their drop/withdrawal (either online via Navigator or in-person) is the official date for refund purposes. Refunds will be processed through the student accounts office and sent to students approximately 6 weeks after withdrawal notification by the student. Fees are refundable only during the add/drop period. We are not responsible for finance charges incurred on your credit card statement.

Online courses for the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and Graduate Studies

Online and hybrid class refunds are based on the start date of the class, which is always the first day of the term/session for the class. 

All graduate matriculated students who withdraw from school must complete the appropriate paperwork through the School of Graduate Studies.

Accelerated Nursing Program

Students will have to file a refund appeal.

Please review our University Refund Policy for Graduate and Evening students.